7 Thoughts On Thought Leadership:
- Thought leadership (TL) is not knowing what’s new, but what’s next.
- In TL it’s not content or context that’s king, but concept.
- TL is not only knowing what’s needed, but knowing what should be first.
- TL is not accepting whatever is in print or the result of “research” as the end of thinking about it.
- Being a TL means being an expert that’s a most trusted adviser in your industry.
- TL’s distinguish themselves from the conventional wisdom.
- TL’s love their constituents more than their own programs.
Leaders and the Challenge of Changing Communities
1. The challenge of remaining relevant.
“The greatest detriment to tomorrow’s success is today’s success.” – R. Warren
- To go to the next level of leadership – what do you need to let go of?
- Sometimes to seize opportunity means to let go of security.
- Security does not always equal significance.
2. The challenge of remaining Competent.
“Leaders who gather followers add to what they can accomplish. Leaders who develop leaders multiply their ability.” – J. Maxwell
- My competence does not always depend on me.
- Part of remaining competent is who you surround yourself with.
3. The Challenge of Assessment.
“There are two ways of relating to life. One is that of playing horse while life rides. The other is that of becoming the rider while life plays horse…if you do not choose to become the rider of life, you are sure to be forced to become the horse. Life either rides or it is ridden. It never stands still.” – N. Hill
- How good am I at what I do?
- Where can I improve?
- Why should other leaders seek out my services?
Look around my fellow leader. Be in tune with the changing tides. And, to stay relevant…always look within first.