*Purchasing for your Organization? Volume discounts are available. Please contact Richard for more information.
Richard’s first-hand experience throughout many years of working with gang members and at-risk Latino youth and families shows that the root of the problem—as well as the solution—lies within the parent-child relationship. Out of countless hours of counseling and listening to young gang members and their parents talk about their home life, the concept of Parents on a Mission was born. Its purpose is to turn the hearts of parents and children to one another through implementing a strategy of forgiveness and reconciliation.
This book focuses on:
- Why kids join gangs – The answer is found by knowing why most kids DO NOT join gangs.
- Why parents are the best prevention strategy against gangs – not more youth programs.
- Gang suppression is not gang prevention – New thinking for community prevention strategies.
- Gang members are not the enemy – Not all gang members are criminals or commit criminal acts.
- Parents on a Mission – The difference between parent classes and parent leadership.
- Parental authority – The key deterrent to gangs and building safe neighborhoods.
- Mentors for parents – Youth are not our future – Parents on A Mission are.
- Tapping into gang loyalty – How to compete and beat gangs for the loyalty of your children.
- Inside-out vs. outside-in community solutions – Why many community programs fail to transform rebellious and violent youth.
- The Seven Principles to help gang members become productive students – What teachers should know about dealing with gang-bangers in the classroom.
- The most effective Community Partner – The role of faith-based organizations.
In Gang Prevention and Schools: The Ultimate Guide for Parents and Teachers on How to Prevent Kids From Joining Gangs, Ramos stresses the difference between gang prevention and gang intervention – the latter of which has been tried for years with little success. Instead of focusing on the problems that gangs create, he turns his attention on the problems that create gangs.
Zeroing in on the crucial importance of the family, Ramos calls his gang prevention strategy “Parents on a Mission”. He wants parents to understand that their power to influence their children is greater than any outside force – whether at school or in the neighborhood. This hands-on guide empowers parents to raise happy, respectful, obedient children who are not looking to give their loyalty away to a second ‘family’ by joining a gang.
Ramos opens his book with statistics that support his claim that the majority of kids do not join gangs. He also offers evidence showing that conventional methods of gang intervention and law suppression strategies do not work. In Gang Prevention and Schools: The Ultimate Guide for Parents and Teachers on How to Prevent Kids From Joining Gangs, Ramos presents a new community approach that is not only logical but is realistic in how it redefines the issue and refocuses communities on where to invest their time and resources.